Saturday, May 25, 2013

A blustery day in Hemse

Karl (now 5) had several friends over for a birthday party today. We got to eat this beautiful ice cream salad: 


This is ice cream layered with bananas, meringue, chocolate sauce and topped with chocolate wafer cookies! Very delish, and the kids loved it!

After some birthday shenanigans I went and toured the town of Hemse. It is the second largest city on the island, with a population of a phenomenal 1,700. Needless to say, there wasn't a whole lot to do there, but it did keep me occupied for an afternoon!

After getting off the bus, I took a tour of the church. Not too extravagant in terms of size, but it was beautifully decorated with paintings!



 This is just a small example, the walls were covered in this! Back in the medieval period, the bible verses were in Latin, and many people couldn't read Latin so what did they do? Drew pictures for them! This is a part of the story of the birth of baby Jesus. Many of the churches have these paintings on the wall, but some are more intricate than others. This cemetery was also quite lovely; almost every single plot had flowers on it!

I then took a tour of all of the shops. There was an interesting Red Cross second hand store that I enjoyed. There were also several gift shops and a few cafes and restaurants. One thing I have noticed is that Gotland does tourist shops very tastefully. I remember being in Paris, France and just walking by store upon store of sweatshirts and shot glasses. Gotland has none of that; their souvenir stores feel just like gift shops (which I suppose in a way they are).

I headed to the ICA (one of the most popular grocery store chains) for some lunch. I had a garlic baguette, potato salad and some candy! I love their candy here, just a huge bulk section with chocolate as well, and everything is the same price so you can just dump it all into one bag! They have chocolates just like Rolos that I quite fancy. I was surprised when I collected my receipt that my pear saft had cost the most out of all my items! While one does need to keep hydrated, it often seems to come at an expense around here.

After taking the bus back to Burgsvik, I had a nice bike ride back to Norrgårde. It is an awesome feeling to only hear the rustling of the wind in the trees, the whirring of your bike on the pavement and the occasional bird. I love nature! I am definitely not one for big cities, and although there isn't a whole lot to do on this island, I definitely prefer it over a largely populated area! I was able to take some lovely pictures on the way as well! 



The cows here are SO photogenic, it's really great! That old windmill is right by the sea, although I was unsuccessful in getting a shot with both sea and windmill together.

Tonight we ordered in pizza. It's very different from Canadian pizza! The crust is very thin and they don't overdo it on the cheese, so the pizza is "skinny" enough that each person orders their own (medium sized) pizza! Now we are relaxing and watching some America's Funniest Home Videos! :) Tomorrow I am off to church to see Stina (and grandma Annika!) sing in the choir!

No comments:

Post a Comment