Friday, May 24, 2013

The foodie in me took over this post...

This week has FLOWN by for me! Anyone else feel the same? (I hope so, considering most of you got a short week and I didn't!) Yesterday and today were regular work days for me. Yesterday I was able to meet some neighbours that are just a few years older than me. Hopefully they will be able to help me explore the island more!

Since it's almost time for supper I guess tonight will be the post about FOOD... 

The Swedes LOVE their bread, and their milk products. I had bread four times already today and haven't eaten supper yet! On a good note, they have way cooler bread than us. A lot more variety, and tons of types of buns and other types apart from the regular loaf! Something Stina (7) loves to put on her bread is liver paste.. I have yet to try it but a lot of the locals enjoy it. They also have caviar in a tube in MANY different flavours. Once again, those that have grown up with it really enjoy it! I didn't take too much of  a liking to it.

Of course Sweden is famous for their meatballs, and rightly so! I seem to eat them like I'll never see them again... They have a great berry sauce that complements them very well! Here they are big pork eaters. I have already tried wild pork roast (from the mainland, no wild pork on the island!) and what Markus called "pork skin" but I'm not sure if that's what it actually was. We eat a lot of sandwich meat on our bread (even for breakfast)!

I have already mentioned a bit about their milk products, but I feel it needs to be emphasized again, because it is such a huge part of their diet! Walking into the dairy section of the grocery store is so overwhelming because there is TONS to choose from. They have several types of milk, as well as pourable yogurts. Baking butter and bread butter are two separate things, and of course each has about 4 different versions. There is also a lot of cheese to choose from! I have yet to really figure out what any of them are because the names are so different, but many of them are quite delicious!

One thing I've found odd here is their pasta. Not the noodles itself, but the sauces.. They always have cream in them, and their version of a tomato sauce is ketchup and cream. It is an interesting flavour! The lasagna we had once reminded me of sloppy joes! Just this week we had plain macaroni noodles and meatballs and a bottle of ketchup. It had actually never occurred to me to eat noodles without sauce... It wasn't too bad though.

Saft... <3 Saft is, from what I've been told, like pop without the bubbles. I suppose it could be like fruit punch or those cocktails you can get in North America... But saft is way better! Especially for someone like me who doesn't really enjoy pop for the simple factor of the bubbles. It's like a dream come true! Most people buy it in a concentrated form and mix it with water at home! Two of my favourite flavours are raspberry and pear! (They are huge with pears here.. pear popsicles, juice, candy etc! I think Canada should take a hint... I love pear!)

I mentioned before that they eat 5 times a day... I've literally eaten seven pieces of bread today. I am still surprised I'm not gaining weight.. (that I know of anyway.. I haven't weighed myself, but my pants are still fitting so I think I'm okay!)

This one's for you mother: They LOVE their potatoes! We probably eat them close to once a day in one form or another. 

Another random food I've noticed they have here that isn't in Canada (that I know of) is called American Dressing. I think it's supposed to be like Big Mac sauce... They love it on their burgers and hotdogs! (By the way, Canadian hotdogs are way better for some reason.)

Almost done.. This is kind of food related.. They only use metric here. Whenever I'm asked to bake something I find an epic recipe.. In imperial. The task of converting can be quite difficult. Even their oven is in Celsius! They use centiliters and deciliters very frequently here, in package measurements, and their baking tools. 

For anyone curious about my actual life the past few days, and not just what's been going through my mouth, it's been fairly uneventful. I worked at feeding the sheep and pressure washing the fence, which I am finally done! I also oiled part of the deck. Yesterday we finished de-worming all of the sheep, YAY!

I don't have any concrete plans for the weekend; hopefully something grand will pop up! Bye for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment